How to Enable or Disable Windows Firewall in windows 7
Once you connect your computer to the internet or to a network, your Windows operating system will now be vulnerable to attack from hackers and malicious software such as worms, this is true if you don’t have antivirus software installed and your Windows firewall is disabled. By default when you install windows, windows firewall is enabled and therefore disabling all incoming traffic to your computer including ICMP traffic. Just like any other firewall software, Windows firewall can be configured to allow or disallow specific services and ports for example you can allow a particular computer to connect to your computer while other computer will not be able to connect to your computer. In order to enable or disable Windows firewall you must be logged in as an Administrator.
To Enable or Disable Windows Firewall
- Click on Start button >> and then clicking on Control Panel under Control Panel select Windows Firewall.
- In the left pane, click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. If you are not logged in as an administrator you will be prompted with the Administrator password or if logged in as an administrator you will be prompted with confirmation, please type the password or confirm to continue.
Windows Firewall Settings
1. Turn on Windows Firewall
This is the default setting when Windows is installed. When this setting is on, most programs are blocked from communicating through the firewall. If you want to allow a particular program to communicate through the firewall, you can add it to the list of allowed programs. When you install a program that require an internet connection, you will be ask if you’ll allow or disallow internet connection for this particular software.
2. Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed programs.
Any unsolicited connection attempt to your computer will be block by the firewall. This setting is ideal if you’re connecting to a public network such as hotel, airport, or any public hotspot. Programs you have listed in the allowed programs will be ignored but you can still browse the internet and send and receive email.
3. Notify me when Windows Firewall blocks a new program
Windows firewall will inform you when a program is blocked and give you the option of unblocking that program.
4. Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended)
This setting might make your computer and your network more vulnerable to attack from hackers and malicious software such as worms. When you have to do these be sure to have your anti-virus active and up to date this setting is not recommended unless it is necessary to do so, so avoid using this setting.